Monday, January 30, 2006

The Armenian-American Governor

Governor George Deukmejian
This interview reveals the heart of a humble man, a true gentle man and about the three women who have influenced his life


“I received your voicemail and I’m returning your call. You know there’s a lot of information about me on the internet and I’m not really looking for any more publicity …but feel free to give me a call…” Well it went something like that and I was absolutely excited to listen to Governor George Deukmejian’s voice on my voicemail. So what did I do, I called him back because what I wanted to know could not be found on the internet.

Six weeks later, I arrived at the restaurant on the second floor of the Long Beach Hilton hotel and there he sat distinguished.

I introduced myself to our former Governor George Deukmejian as he stood up (as a gentleman would) and we shook hands. I placed my briefcase on the chair and took my notepad and tape recorder out. I put batteries inside the recorder and placed it on the table and then he reached over and stopped me.

He said, "so please tell me about your self?" He interviewed me for a few minutes and then I spoke about my intentions of the interview as my opening to begin, so I thought, but then the waitress arrived. We ordered lunch.

I began the interview by first asking permission if I could call him Governor and he said I could call him anything I want. I was consistent and called him Governor throughout the whole interview.

Najibi: Have you always been called George?

Governor Deukmejian: My full name is Courken George. When I was growing up my nickname was Corky, that’s how I remained during my early years through High School. When I got to College the nickname changed to Duke. Through the years I used the first name George as my full name. However, when I signed official documents they were as C. George Deukmejian. Most of my official documents are C. George Deukmejian.

Najibi: Governor what was your defining moment?

Governor Deukmejian: I don’t know that I can pinpoint a particular moment. I always found a desire to be involved in activities. For example, during my high school years I ran for student body president. I was not successful but I was very active in student government affairs. The following year I became the campaign manager for a fellow student and we won that election. It was something natural to be involved and to be willing to take on leadership positions.

Najibi: I consider your accomplishments as amazing. During your eight year term, you appointed 1000 judges, and the majority of them were serving on the bench of the California State Supreme Court Justices. Please describe what was happening to you at that time and what impact did your mother have on you?

Governor Deukmejian: I spent 20 years in various public offices, all of them in state government beginning with my four years serving in the state assembly. I spent 12 years as state senator and then I ran and was elected for attorney general for four years. So I had 20 years of experience in the state government, in the legislature and as attorney general. And at that time, the then governor decided to run for the U.S. Senate so there was an open seat, there was no incumbent in the governor’s office. I felt well prepared to run for governor with all of that experience behind me. And if I was ever going to run - that was the time to do it because I wasn’t going to have to run against an incumbent. Those were the major considerations at the time.

Regarding my mother, well, she wouldn’t say that she raised an amazing man, she was an energetic, enthusiastic woman. She worked very hard during her life. It was necessary for her to work because of the depression. She worked in a factory when I was six years old and my older sister was 10 at that time. My mother was a hard working woman. At home, she was a mother, a wife; she took care of the house, and cooked. At work, she would stand on her feet all day making neck ties. Many years later, she changed jobs and worked for Montgomery Wards; they had a retail shop in the village where we grew up. Then she left Montgomery Wards and went to work for the State of New York, at this time we were living in the outskirts of Albany, NY. If you’re not familiar with Albany, there are a lot of state agencies situated there. Anyways, my mother was dynamic; she was always active, very interested, very encouraging and would continually suggest to me that I may want to try this or that, just always encouraging me.

My sister Anna who was a very accomplished pianist likewise received this type of support and encouragement from my mom. My father did as well but he was more of a gentleman, a passive nature as compared to my mother.

Najibi: Would you give me an example of how your mother and your sister would encourage you? And what were some of the family concerns?

Governor Deukmejian: My mom’s main concern was the families’ survival. My fathers’ Oriental rug concession business had suffered major loss during the depression. Since there was no money to buy rugs my father decided to repair them. Many Armenian women had to work; families were dependent on the second job, and my mother worked.

They were pleased and pretty amazed that I was in College and that I was passing. You see my parents only had high school diplomas and at that time my sister didn’t go to College until after she was married. I should elaborate; my parents weren’t knowledgeable about how you prepare yourself to go to the best schools, or what you should study, like we are prepared today. And furthermore, they didn’t have money.
While in College, I hadn’t really decided what I wanted to do as my professional career. My mother encouraged me to consider law school. So ultimately that’s what I did. Once I got into law school, I really liked it and took to it. After all, with her encouragement, her suggestions, it worked out.

My sister really had a great talent to play the piano. As a result, my parents sent to her to a private high school where she could continue to play the piano and then they sent her to a conservatory. We thought she had a career, but it didn’t work out for her. Anna was dynamic. Both my mom and Anna were very helpful to me and supportive of whatever I undertook. I think they were very amazed as to how far I got. As I made decisions about doing certain things they were always there, encouraging me, they never said, you can’t do that, they always encouraged me and my wife is the same way.

Najibi: Tell me about your wife, Gloria.

Governor Deukmejian: Gloria always supported me. I met her at a wedding and married her seven months later in 1957. Gloria was a native of Long Beach. She attended Chouinard Art Institute in Los Angeles where she studied Interior Design.
She participates in many activities and organizations. We have three grown children and four grandchildren.

Najibi: I want to go back to the topic of the appointment of judges briefly. What didn’t interest you about the judicial system?

Governor Deukmejian: Well I was concerned about things, for instance, if laws were being adequately enforced. I felt one of the major responsibilities is to provide for the safety and protection of citizens. During my years in state government we were experiencing significant increases in crime throughout not only the state but the country. I wasn’t pleased with the way the great many of the judges were enforcing the laws. I remember a period in time in the 60s when there was a lot of second guessing of law enforcement by the judiciary. They were making it extremely difficult for peace officers to do their jobs, they were changing the ground rules, and it was difficult for the law enforcement officers to make a split second decision knowing if they’re doing the right thing or not. This area concerned me and this was a primary area of interest.

When I began running as a candidate for the state assembly this became a primary interest for me and when I became attorney general the interest continued on through my whole career. I did get a lot of satisfaction (I think) to make a contribution in that area. Then later I realized that an attorney general doesn’t appoint judges, it’s the governor. So that was a very compelling factor as to why I wanted to run for governor. I realized I would have that power, that authority and I would be able to directly bring people in the judiciary, who would share my beliefs, philosophy and who were well qualified.

On January 3, 1983 the Governor delivered his inaugural address which consisted of truth, sincerity; his vision. I held a copy of the The Armenian Observer from 20 years ago, the paper was golden in color due to the age and there on page seven was the governor’s speech. I read to him the last two paragraphs which stated, “So on this day I pledge courage and commitment to the rigors ahead. I am as confident of these new times as those who came before us were of finding a new and better life. I arrived at this day with your help and your prayers. I will need your continued help and prayers each day that lies ahead. I ask you to be a part of still one more journey. Thank you and happy new year.”

The Governor asked to take a look at the newspaper and he looked through each page, reminiscing on each and every of the 38 pictures. I asked him about his speech and his eyes filled with tears and he said the last two paragraphs had everything to do with the beginning and then he couldn’t speak. I told him, I understood.

About Alice Deukmejian, the Governors mother:
She was born in 1898 and was nine years old when she came to America. Her father (the Governor’s grandfather) insisted that they speak Armenian in the home and her parents never learned English according to her own notes which she made prior to her death in 1994. Alice’s real name was Elbis and as she explained one of her teachers in Troy, New York called her by the wrong name, “Alice” and that name stuck with her. At age 24, Alice married Courken George Deukmejian.

About Anna Ashjian, the Governors older sister:
When she was nine years old she was placed first in a piano competition. She married and lived in Los Angeles where she later attended UCLA and majored in music and obtained her bachelors degree. After Anna retired from the Employment Development Department of the State of California she volunteered full time for her brother’s campaign for Governor.
Interview conducted on July 9, 2003

No comments: